Ask five different people what home automation is and you will probably get five different answers. Home automation uses technology to make your everyday tasks in the home (or office) simpler, safer, or less expensive. Home automation systems can control lights and dimmers, create or enhance home theater and entertainment systems, strengthen home security, automate locks and doors, and increase energy efficiency.
Is Home Automation Affordable?
Home automation doesn’t have to cost a lot of money. Systems are designed to be expandable, allowing you to grow your system as you can afford to. Light control starter kits are available for under NZD $90. Most enthusiasts start out with a basic system (dimmable remote control lights) and build onto their system as they learn about the additional capabilities the technology offers.
Practical And Fun To Use
Home automation can be an addictive hobby and the technology has its own loyal following of enthusiasts. Systems are easy to install and don’t require a technical background, making home automation available to anyone with an interest. Practical applications of home automation exist for everyday problems, too. For example, with the unsteady economy many homeowners have turned to home automation to help reduce their monthly utility bills by controlling unnecessary electricity and water consumption. Individuals desiring increased security have also used home automation products to create affordable solutions that avoid monthly security system charges.
Now you’ve heard about home automation and are wondering what all the fuss is about? If you’re like most people, you don’t do things without a good reason. Just why should you automate your home? Here are 8 good reasons:
- Make tasks more convenient – Many tasks that are repetitive in nature can be accomplished automatically or with fewer steps using home automation. Instead of turning off or dimming four different lights when you want to watch a movie, home automation allows you to accomplish this task with one button.
- Save money on utilities – Utilities can amount to several hundred dollars per month. Home automation can turn off lights or lower the thermostat automatically when you aren’t using them and easily lower your utility bills by 10% to 25%.
- Increased home safety – Many accidents happen in the home because of poor lighting. Home automation can automatically turn lights on in closets, stairways, and other dark places when you enter and decrease the chance of accidentally tripping or running into things.
- Home security – Although home security is a priority for everyone, high installation cost or monthly monitoring charges make security systems cost prohibitive for many homeowners. Home automation provides a inexpensive solution to home security.
- Good for the environment – In a time when we are all becoming more environmentally aware, home automation provides a good solution to help preserve our natural resources. Home automation products can reduce power consumption and automatically turn off lights and appliances when they aren’t in use.
- Peace of mind – Never again worry about your home while you’re away. Using home video cameras and an Internet connection, you can check on the status of your home or kids from anywhere in the world using a PC or web-enabled phone.
- Learning experience for children – Technology is here to stay and the more your children learn about upcoming technology the better prepared they are for the future. Turn your home into a classroom, as your home automation projects become a learning experience for your children.
- Something the whole family can enjoy – A family that plays together, stays together. Although home automation is all of the above, most of all it’s a lot of fun for the entire family. You will find home automation will bring the family closer together as everyone learns about the technology’s capabilities together.